Friday, November 18, 2011

Facing some Critiques

This week in MY FRIDAY COLUMN I take a look at the comments that people have posted concerning some recent columns that I have written:


As a writer of a weekly opinions column I appreciate any feedback that I receive.  I believe by letting me know how you feel about a particular column will help me become a more talented writer.  The best way to communicate your admiration  or disdain for a particular article I write is to email me your response.  I read every email and try to respond to each.  It is the best way to communicate if you would like to discuss a particular topic.

Another way to express yourself is to write a comment on the online version of each of my columns.  While the tab you click “Add a comment on this story” is listed under a heading of “Discussion” it is not a very good vehicle for a constructive dialogue.  The comments are not posted in real time because they are scrutinized by a moderator for appropriateness.  It can be hours or even full days before your comment is seen so a discussion of the topic can be difficult.  

I try to read each of the comments that are posted online but I generally do not comment.  Today I would like to take some time to reply to some of the feedback that I have received.

A few weeks ago I wrote a column about the funding of our local parks department.


  I was pointing out that the inequitable funding between the city and county governments and it was somehow turned around and I was being labeled a communist.  I was asking that county government at least live up to their agreement and pay an even share that the city pays.  I never said ‘from each according to his need’ as I was accused.

Another commenter “BOB” wrote “if you live in the county and pay more to the county coffers we should pay more to support city expenses.”  One of the problems with this statement is that city residents pay county tax at the same rate as those who live outside of city limits.  City residents also pay city taxes for the services that we receive.   That means that people who live within the boundaries of New Albany are paying twice.   I was only pointing out that the county leaders should pay a fair share, I wasn’t stating that people outside the city should pay any more.

The next column that received some attention was pertaining to the New Albany’s police chief and his decision to change the take home car policy to help shore up his budget.

POLICE UNION SHOULD WORK WITH CHIEF

 I was labeled  “a  part of the good ole boy network downtown.”  I just pointed out that Todd Bailey at least deserves a consideration in the new mayor’s administration because of his willingness to take steps to fix our budget needs.

Another commenter posted “What did he do before being chief…I bet that pretty boy has never been in a fight.”  I do not know much about what Todd Bailey did before becoming chief.  I was only making judgments based on his job performance as chief.  I also do not know if he has ever been in a fight and do not think that it has any relevance.  Maybe if he has never been in a fight it shows something of his character or skills in navigating a difficult decision.  The fact that he may or may not be a “pretty boy” has no bearing on his ability to lead the New Albany Police Department.

This brings me to last week’s “Cheer and Jeers” section in the November 12-13 News and Tribune.

CHEERS AND JEERS NOVEMBER 12-13

In her jeer, reader and perennial letter writer, Shirley Ann Larner stated that “when you commit to writing a column, you should write a real column.”  I take my commitment seriously and will continue  to strive to write columns that readers enjoy.  Everyone will not appreciate each column on the same level and I am sorry you didn’t like that particular column.  I appreciate the comment “I believe Nash is a talented writer” , Thank you.

I would like to thank everyone who reads my columns each week, even the ones who do not agree with me.  If everyone agreed with my opinions, what would be the point of writing them down.  If you would like to discuss a particular topic feel free to send an email, that is posted at the end of each column.  You can also go to my blog site MyFridayColumn.blogspot.com.  I plan to be more diligent in posting and updating there.

I look forward to continue to writing my weekly column as long as there is an audience to read.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just curious I remember you talking about at one time how much you miss there being a outdoor pool in New Albany since they closed Camille Wright which I never understood the reasoning behind that but maybe our mayor should consider about thinking about drafting some ideas in plan about getting a pool underway for New Albany not everyone wants to go to a indoor pool at the YMCA in the summer time.

Matt Nash said...

The idea of a new pool was actually one of the first columns that I wrote when I first started. I have mentioned it a couple of times and I believe it something that needs to be done

From what I understand the Parks Department doesn't have the budget to build a new pool. Without an agreement on how much the city and county are going to pay for anything, a private donation is not likely.

I have talked to a couple of the board members and it is still a priority they just need a funding source