Friday, January 27, 2012

I am sure I had a point

This week in MY FRIDAY COLUMN I address a reader's concern that my column last week was a little too vague, I hope this helps.


It might be hard to believe but when I sit down each week to write one of these opinion columns I believe that ultimately I will have a point.  Whether I make my point clear to everyone in every column is a matter of debate.  Apparently last week I failed miserably in that endeavor and for that I would like to apologize.  

Although I received a lot of positive feedback from last week’s column, one long time reader didn’t understand the use of my phrase “That’s not a request” that I used at the end of each segment of my article.  It seems I wasn’t clear enough about what my point really was.

In the title of the column “Thanks for the Idea, Bob” , I am referring to New Albany’s 2nd district city councilman Bob Caeser and a comment that he made at a city council meeting earlier this month and reported in the News and Tribune.  He owns a business on Pearl Street and Indiana-American Water Corporation was seeking a permit from the city in order to do some maintenance on  the water line there. 

In the very first paragraph of my column I refer to an exchange between the councilman and a member of the administration.  Mr. Caeser made it clear that the permit should not be issued until after Valentine’s Day.  Emphasizing his position by announcing “that wasn’t a request”.  He made it clear that he would use his power as a member of the city council to protect  his business interest.

I guess my point by emphasizing the statement throughout the column was to highlight that elected officials should not be able to use their power or position in order to obtain special privileges.  People in power should not use that power to protect their own business interest.  They should use their power as an elected official to protect the business interest of the entire city.

Just this week United States Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky was preparing to board a plane and set off an alarm and he was asked to submit to a more thorough screening, to which he refused.  Senator Paul said in an interview that the TSA spends too much time doing invasive searches of people who are not a threat, instead of identifying people who are.  How would the Senator differentiate between people who are or aren’t a threat?

I do not agree with all of the rules that are enforced by the Transportation Security Administration, an agency of the Homeland Security Department.  I believe that they probably over step their bounds and infringe on our civil liberties.  I also believe the rules are there for a reason and that they need to be followed.  It is the price that we pay for safe air travel.  If the rules are wrong, then they need to be changed, until that time they need to be enforced evenly for everyone.

Another person that believes that he is above all the rules is Indiana Secretary of State,  Charles White.  In 2010 as he was running as a candidate for Secretary of State, ironically the chief election official in the state, he maintained the address of his ex-wife’s residence.  Had he updated his residency as required he would have also had to resign from his position of town councilman and lose the $12,000 salary.

Last month a Marion County Court overturned the election and ordered the runner up to replace him as Secretary of State.  As of right now the case is still in the hands of the courts and it could be a while until it is ultimately decided.  Would any of this have been necessary if Mr. White had just followed the law?  

Elected officials should not be given special powers or be considered to be above the rules.  They should go out of their way to follow the letter of the law as it is written and not challenge the authority of others.  If they believe that the laws are wrong or unfair, they should be changed for everyone.

What if everyone went to the airport and refused to be searched?  What if everyone that moved before an election didn’t change their voter registration properly?  What if every business owner demanded that their business deserved favorable treatment?  If our leaders are not required to follow the rules, why should any one else?  I guess that was my point.

Matthew Nash just wishes common sense were a tad more common.  If you don’t get the point of this, or any other column he can be reached by email dmatthewnash

No comments: