Monday, February 20, 2012

Taking the plunge Again...

This is a link to the column that I wrote last year before the POLAR BEAR PLUNGE to benefit Special Olympics...



Not only did I jump into the frosty waters of the Ohio River on that cold February morning, I have done it every year since.  Not only was I able to accomplish my goal, I was able to help out a worthy cause.  On February 26th I will once again jump in to the chilly water as part of this year’s Polar Bear Plunge.


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle


As part of the festivities that surround the Polar Bear Plunge for Special Olympics there is  a costume contest.  I have become pretty popular amongst the regulars that attend the annual event for my creative costumes that I have come up with.




Ritz Cracker Box
Sonny and Cher
The third year I went all out and turned myself into Sonny and Cher.  I endured an eyebrow wax, shaved half of my chest, and grew a moustache that would make Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot both stand up and cheer, and then shaved half of it off.


MR AND MRS POTATO HEAD
Last year I convinced my girlfriend “Amy” to jump into the river with me.  She is a huge fan of Mr. Potato Head so the two of us went as Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head.  










Starting with the year I was Sonny and Cher I decided that growing a mustache would become part of the ritual.  Over the last few years it has evolved into a full blown beard.  This year I have not shaved my face since October 16th.  I have been called such names as Grizzly Addams, Yukon Cornelius or “That guy from The Hangover” Zack Galifianakis.  Now when people ask, “What’s up with the crazy beard?”, I explain to them about the Polar Bear Plunge and The Special Olympics

No comments: