Friday, August 26, 2011

Who us paying for 1sI endorsements?

This week in MY FRIDAY COLUMN I take a look at the plan for One Southern Indiana, our local chamber of commerce and their plan to make endorsements in this year's municipal election.

WHO IS PAYING FOR 1sI ENDORSEMENTS?



Each week I sit down at my laptop computer and type out my opinions for you to read. Some weeks many people agree with my opinion, some weeks, many people don't. I often wonder why some people that disagree with me every week, continue to read, I am just glad that they do. It is clear that I am not going to change some people's opinions and I doubt that they can change mine
.
That is what is great about this country, everyone is allowed to have a different opinion about a subject, and everyone is allowed to express that opinion any way that they feel. As a person that believes wholeheartedly in the “Freedom of Speech” that is guaranteed in the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, I would never stand in the way of someone's right to express themselves.

Last week in an announcement that was published in The News and Tribune, One Southern Indiana the local chamber of commerce group, declared that they would once again make endorsements in this year's election. They will endorse candidates for mayor in New Albany, Jeffersonville and Charlestown. This is something they started last year when they took sides in the local statehouse races and the United States House of Representatives. I spoke out about it last year, and my opinion has not changed.

My problem with One Southern Indiana endorsing candidates is based on their desire to have local municipalities partially fund their programs. They were asking the city of New Albany for $70,000 last year about the same time that they announced who they planned on endorsing for the General Election. Will how those members voted for or against funding affect the pending endorsements this year? While they insist that the money they use as part of their political action committee is separate from their economic development money, there is always going to be a perception of shenanigans.

I decided to write this opinions column before the announcement is made on who they plan to endorse. Last year when I wrote about the 1sI endorsements I was criticized by some who said my opinion would be different if they had chosen to endorse candidates that I supported. I would have been critical of their decision no matter what candidates they chose. If they are going to continue to ask municipal governments for funds then they should probably get out of the election business.



My problems actually started with One Southern Indiana a few weeks prior to their plan to endorse candidates was announced last year. It was their endorsement of the Ohio River Bridges project and their unwavering support for the Bridges Authority that changed my mind. The New Albany city council was the first government body to publicly denounce the use of tolls, and then 1sI turned around and asked them for money few weeks later. It seemed counter productive to me for the city council to denounce the use of tolls and then turn around and give money to a group that trumpeted the Ohio River Bridges Project, whatever the cost.


Last year I wrote this column concerning One Southern Indiana's funding request that had come before the city council at same meeting it was voting on its "NO TOLLS" resolution.

I was at the New Albany City Council meeting last year when One Southern Indiana made their case for funding. They were asking for $70,000 at a time when New Albany had not seen a balanced budget in several years. Many of the council members were worried about how it would look to give money to a group who was now in the political action committee game. In the end a compromise was made and the group was given $30,000. I just wonder if members of the city council were looking ahead to this year's election when they were considering the funding request? I am sure that it was at least in the back of their minds.


I encourage everyone to get involved with the election process. I think it is important for everyone to learn as much as they can about the people that we will be going to the polls to elect. I cannot stop One Southern Indiana from making whatever endorsements that they see fit. I believe it is unethical for them to ask local governments for money, if this is the path that they have chosen.   

No comments: